incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to handle the downloads and visitors?
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2012 00:11:17 GMT
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> On 8 February 2012 01:12, Devin Han <devinhan@apache.org> wrote:
>> The Google Analytics has been applied on ODF toolkit website and the
>> privacy policy page is also ready.
>> see:http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/privacy.html
>>
>> The report can be shared with all of the PMC members and mentors as needed
>> in the future ;)
>
> One of the things I supposedly do professionally is --and has been for
> far too long-- tracking the stuff that makes marketers drool, like
> download numbers (the good ones). There are numerous options, but I
> think for something like this--and this is obvious?--we ought to use
> what Apache normally uses and in special cases, like for extensions or
> whatever, other services, if free.

Several other Apache projects also use Google Analytics.  There are
open source alternatives, like Piwik:

http://piwik.org/

However, Piwik would require hosting here at Apache,

> But one thing: If we could have a means by which downloaders could
> identify if not themselves then their use of AOO, so that we could use
> that information for answering the usual q, "Who uses it?"

You used to be able to use Google's Code Search to look for this by
searching for  "org.odftookit".  But Google has stopped that service.
 You can do plain Google searching for "org.odftoolkit" but that is
messy, and even at best only shows open source uses.

-Rob