incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Devin Han <devin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to handle the downloads and visitors?
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2012 03:32:11 GMT
2012/2/3 Nick Burch <nick.burch@alfresco.com>

> On Fri, 3 Feb 2012, Devin Han wrote:
>
>> Our first Apache release has been announced more than 3 weeks, but we
>> can't
>> exactly know how many users access our website and how many downloads.
>>
>> So, I suggest use Google Analytics on our website ASAP.
>>

> Just a caution - while something like Google Analytics will tell you about
> website users, it won't tell you about downloads. People download from the
> Apache mirrors network, sometimes directly, so you can't get stats on that,
> and anyone using Maven will go to Central and you can't get those stats
> either

We can track the download link on the website. Yes, the data is not exact
and smaller than the true value. But have a data is better than no data.

Maven Central Repository can supply a stats report. We used it when we were
in ODF Toolkit Union. see this example:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/odf/documents/odftoolkit%27s%20maven%20statistics.png.png

--
-Devin