incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Devin Han <devin...@apache.org>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Combine ODFDOM and Simple API
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 08:30:46 GMT
Hi all,

As you know we will remove the deprecated ODFDOM DOC layer and replace it
with Simple API in the 2nd release. After that, ODFDOM will focus on low
level dom/package layer, while Simple API focus on the high level
convenient API. That would be a good news for users.

Now, I have a new idea that why not combine ODFDOM and Simple API together?
If we do that, the advantages are:
(1) The user only needs to download a single jar. Include to classpath
easily and no need to care about the version dependency between ODFDOM and
Simple API.
(2) ODFDOM and Simple API javadoc are together, user can find class, method
easily.
(3) People, who only use ODFDOM before, has a chance to use Simple API to
improve the efficiency. The jar of Simple API 0.7 is only 444.8 KB, would
not take too much space.

The questions are:
(1) We need a new name for ODFDOM&Simple API.
(2) What's the new package name of Simple API?  Inherit ODFDOM DOC Layer
name or change nothing?

--
-Devin