incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Svante Schubert <svante.schub...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Combine ODFDOM and Simple API
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 22:44:33 GMT
On 29.02.2012 23:35, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Svante Schubert
> <svante.schubert@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> (2) ODFDOM and Simple API javadoc are together, user can find class, method
>>> easily.
>> Quite the opposite. Simple API is called simple as you do only have such
>> a little powerful API calls, which bundle several DOM API calls.
>> If combine them, you will have again a jungle of an API.
>>
> In practice we see users call into ODFDOM from the Simple API.  So
> regardless of what we do with the JAR's it would be good to produce
> some consolidated JavaDoc, so the developer can more easily navigate
> between the API's.

If you merge the JavaDoc of all generated classes of ODFDOM (about
1900), all simplicity is gone - at least for the JavaDoc.
But I am with you. The user needs a better linking to ODFDOM. It should
be able to have the ability to 'jump' from Simple API JavaDoc via
reference to the ODFDOM API.

We did such references before with JavaDoc Taglets to reference from
every generated XML node to the ODF specification in HTML.
This time each Simple API component will reference to its root element.
Every property to its attribute.

But try the merged JavaDoc once: copy the Simple Java source into the
ODFDOM source folder and compare the previous Simple API JavaDoc with
the new merged one.

Svante