incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Are we doing the RC vote right?
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 01:28:54 GMT
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2012, at 1:19 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> The RC7 vote is a little confusing. Since there are a number of other
>> projects that are interested in the ODF Toolkit, we cc'ed them all in
>> the vote thread, along with this list and the Incubator general list.
>> That, coupled with this being our first release, has lead to a "messy"
>> voting thread.  For example:
>>
>> 1) We have a +1 from Yegor, but that made it only to the Tika dev list
>>
>> http://markmail.org/message/4syron6anolleqlk
>>
>> 2) We have several +1's from PPMC members here on odf-dev
>>
>> 3) We have one +1 from a PPMC member to odf-private
>>
>> 4) We have no +1's from IPMC members on this list or on the Incubator
>> general list :-(
>
> Yegor is on the IPMC. Mentors must be on the IPMC. He did not state that his vote was
"binding" - but I *think* that is implicit.

> BTW - I've just been elected to the IPMC to be a Mentor for Apache Flex.

Cool.  Congratulations.

>> My guess is the cc'ing to multiple lists may have caused some confusion.
>
> It certainly did.
>

>> What is the best practice here?  Send to only to general@incubator and
>> cc odf-dev?  Should we be posting our (non-binding) votes and test
>> summaries to general@incubator rather than odf-dev?
>
> What I've seen is that the vote occurs on the project's dev list first. Then a vote -
results email on odf-dev. Then an IPMC vote on general@i.a.o.

We did that on the initial RC:

http://markmail.org/message/6qt5igqggkj66e7d

Then Yegor took a look and found some issues that we needed to fix.
We've been iterating on that since, now up to RC7, which Yegor did
give a +1 to.

I hope we don't need to have a separate 1 week PPMC vote on each RC,
even if we're making only small changes to address reported issues
from the previous ballot.   I thought I saw something on the incubator
general list about just kicking off an IPMC vote in that case, for
subsequent RC's.

> In the future if we want to tell other projects about our votes let's make that a separate
email. IMO a subject like "[FYI] Voting on a release candidate for ODFToolkit" would be helpful
and clearly not the [VOTE] thread.

> Everyone has different filter rules on their mail and are on more than one project. Mine
came into poi-dev, I guess Yegor has Tika before Poi and ODF on his filter list. Let this
be a lesson learned about cross posting.a VOTE thread.

>> Any ideas on how to get this vote back on track?
>
> Put the results together in a [VOTE][RESULTS] email for odf-dev.

The weird thing here is we have not received as many PPMC votes as we
did with RC1.   I think the impression some have is that their votes
from RC1 still stand, and we're just waiting for IPMC votes now.  So
they didn't vote again.

not subscribed now  to general@i.a.o you ought to be during the vote.

> Does this make sense? Let's turn in our homework even if it is not perfect ;-)

I agree that the above makes sense.  This particular instance was a
weird one.  It sounds like posting a summary of result to-date of the
RC7 vote, including PPMC votes and mentor votes, to the general list,
with a little explanation, might help.

> Regards,
> Dave,
>
> who has a execstackoverflow in a postscript file to debug plus a work release to do in
the next couple of days or I would have done more research on this question.