incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Let's discussion on the next release
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 19:54:57 GMT
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Devin Han <devinhan@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks you for the contribution of the the first release! Now the plan of
> the next release is on the desktop.
> I summary some todo items and wish to get your guys' feedback.
>
> (1) Clear crypto process with Apache.
> (2) Commit encryption/decryption code to the master repository.

These two need to be done together, at the same time.

> (3) Update package name from "org.odftoolkit.*" to
> "org.apache.odftoolkit.*".
> (4) Remove ODFDOM Doc API which has been marked as deprecated in the first
> release.

These two are "breaking changes"  So we will want to do them together,
IMHO.  Better to pull the bandage off quickly and get the pain over
with, I think.

Another change we should make at the same time:

5) Update ODF schema to the final ODF 1.2 schemas, which were
published last week:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/201201/msg00001.html

> (5) bug fix.

Always ;-)

I wonder, also:

(6) We have the demo applications build using the ODF Toolkit Simple API:

http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/simple/demo/index.html

These are very good demos, I think.  But we make it hard for the
project to update or improve them, since the source code is in ZIP
files on the website.  So they will break when we do the package
rename.  Maybe we want to move these samples into SVN, in a "demo" or
"samples" directory, with their own POM, maybe an assembly if we want
to build each one individually and then bundle them together into a
"samples" release package.

(7) Many of the bugs we get reported are related to
multithreading/concurrent use of the API.  It would be great if we
could find some automated way of testing this.  All our unit tests are
single threaded.  Ditto for our samples.  So we're not effectively
testing this aspect of the code.  Maybe they do something interesting
with POI?

Anyone have any other ideas for features for the next release?