incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "Apache ODF Toolkit" versus "The Apache ODF Toolkit"
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2012 17:40:11 GMT
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands_(terminology)>.  For the Dutch, it
is "Nederland", not "Nederlands" and the "the" is not part of the name, no more than in "the
United States."

Well, in English it is required. "The Hague" is another one.

> It appears that the definite article is not required and, when used, does not have to
be considered part of the nomenclature.  I.e., "the Apache OpenOffice project".

> I agree that "Apache ODF Toolkit" is difficult to refer to without saying "the".  I
wonder, as does Rob, whether this is simply a matter of habit.  I don't have the tendency
with "Apache Subversion" or any other Apache <one-word> projects that I can think of.

Looking at other Apache projects with multi-word names, I see examples
of both patterns:

-- "the Apache HTTP Server"
-- "the Apache Portable Runtime Server"

but

-- "Apache Traffic Server"
-- "Apache Directory Studio"

One thing appears common, that even if there is no "the" in the
product name, the project is referred to as "the foo project".

>  - Dennis
>
> PS: If there were a version number, the desired to prefix "the" goes away!  Apache ODF
Toolkit 0.90, for example.  That's how it works for me.  "Toolkit" seems to be the culprit.