incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Devin Han <devin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JDK 7 Results (was RE: [VOTE] Release Apache ODF Toolkit 0.5-incubating(RC7))
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 09:19:17 GMT
2012/1/4 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 7:27 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> > The tools.jar is in the usual JDK location and the packages are there.
> >
> > There is a way to run Maven where it shows the commands it executes and
> I may do that to see what the compile command looks like.  Since Maven is
> synthesizing class-path parameters, it would be interesting to see what the
> compile command is and whether there is a command-line change in Java 7.
> >
> > I'm out of time on this for now, but I will take another crack at it
> eventually.
> >

> I think I got it.  In taglets/pom.xml, look for tools.jar.  The vendor
> changed in the Java 7 version from "Sun Microsystems Inc." to "Oracle
> Corporation".  That vendor name switch causes Maven not to see that
> dependency.  Ouch.

I also tested it and got the same reason. There is an article[1] talking
about this issue.
This is a common problem for including tools.jar in maven dependencies. We
should give users suggestion about how to build ODF Toolkit with JDK7,  but
it should not be a reason that blocks our first release.

[1]
http://sunnytalkstech.blogspot.com/2011/08/maven-dependency-for-toolsjar-in-jdk7.html

> I changed the vendor name and it is not building under Java 7, or at
> least it has got past that error.  We'll see in another 20 minutes or
> so if it completes.
>
> I wonder if we can simply list the JAR twice, once with each vendor?
> Maven seems to ignore the one it can't find.

I try to use ${java.vendor}  to replace the static value, but it doesn't
work...
I am sure "java.vendor" is a availabe property in maven2[2].

[2] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/MavenPropertiesGuide

> I wonder how this worked at all with OpenJDK?  Do they just list
> themselves as coming from Sun for compatibility?

I found this answer[3] from Maven website.
Before the sample configuration, there is a sentence "The following code
includes tools.jar for JDKs on Windows, Linux and Solaris (it is already
included in the runtime for Mac OS X and some free JDKs). "

 <activation>
        <property>
          <name>java.vendor</name>
          <value>Sun Microsystems Inc.</value>
        </property>
 </activation>

So, the  should be compatible with Open JDK.

[3] http://maven.apache.org/general.html

--
-Devin