incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Devin Han <devin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Let's discussion on the next release
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 02:43:35 GMT
2012/1/17 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Devin Han <devinhan@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Thanks you for the contribution of the the first release! Now the plan of
> > the next release is on the desktop.
> > I summary some todo items and wish to get your guys' feedback.
> >
> > (1) Clear crypto process with Apache.
> > (2) Commit encryption/decryption code to the master repository.
>
> These two need to be done together, at the same time.

Yes, but we can't do it parallel,  as before complete (1) we can't commit
the code to the master repository.
see: http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html

> > (3) Update package name from "org.odftoolkit.*" to
> > "org.apache.odftoolkit.*".
> > (4) Remove ODFDOM Doc API which has been marked as deprecated in the
> first
> > release.
>
> These two are "breaking changes"  So we will want to do them together,
> IMHO.  Better to pull the bandage off quickly and get the pain over
> with, I think.

Agree!

> Another change we should make at the same time:
>
> 5) Update ODF schema to the final ODF 1.2 schemas, which were
> published last week:
>
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/201201/msg00001.html

We can do that, not difficult for us. In my opinion, maybe ODF committee
should consider to announce ODF Toolkit as its reference realization, as we
have passion and ability to follow its newest version ;)

> > (5) bug fix.
> >

> Always ;-)
>

> I wonder, also:
>
> (6) We have the demo applications build using the ODF Toolkit Simple API:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/simple/demo/index.html
>
> These are very good demos, I think.  But we make it hard for the
> project to update or improve them, since the source code is in ZIP
> files on the website.  So they will break when we do the package
> rename.  Maybe we want to move these samples into SVN, in a "demo" or
> "samples" directory, with their own POM, maybe an assembly if we want
> to build each one individually and then bundle them together into a
> "samples" release package.

Good idea!  Actually, we have a  "samples" directory in Simple API.
There is a sample which is used to check apache license info in ODF
document. We have a agreement to share it to Rat project.
see:https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/odf/trunk/simple/src/sample/
Other demo code could also move here, or we create a new top level
directory.

Yes, this is a question. Shall we organize these demo by sub-project or in
a top level diectory together?
Now, nearly all of the demos is about Simple API.

In the foreseeable future, Simple API and ODFDOM should be the most active
parts.

> (7) Many of the bugs we get reported are related to
> multithreading/concurrent use of the API.  It would be great if we
> could find some automated way of testing this.  All our unit tests are
> single threaded.  Ditto for our samples.  So we're not effectively
> testing this aspect of the code.  Maybe they do something interesting
> with POI?

Let's wait for Yegor's answer;)

--
-Devin