incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Rau <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "Apache ODF Toolkit" versus "The Apache ODF Toolkit"
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:13:14 GMT
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> It is The Apache Software Foundation and The ASF. See http://www.apache.org/
>
> For POI. It is The Apache POI Project and also Apache POI.
>
> So, for this podling. Is it "The Apache ODF Toolkit Project". "The Apache ODF Toolkit",
and/or "Apache ODF Toolkit"? Any of the three, either of two forms, or just one form. It doesn't
matter to me.

As pointed out by Dennis, to me it seems to be just a matter of habit.
I personally would say the name of the deliverable should be "Apache
ODF Toolkit" where ever it is used standalone. From an text writing
perspective   the ... toolkit  seems to be more natural.

So either way is fine with me. We should just make sure we have a
guideline when to use either of those to have a consistent "look &
feel" ;).

Regards,
Oliver

> Regards,
> Dave
>

>> What has us use the definite article in some places and not others is a mystery.
 Something for Daniel Pink to blog about, perhaps.

>> - Dennis
>>
>> PS: I notice that I am finding it easier and easier to just say "ODF Toolkit" to
myself.  Curious and more curious.  (My spell-checker doesn't want me to quote Alice in
Wonderland.)

it is "Nederland", not "Nederlands" and the "the" is not part of the name, no more than in
"the United States."

>> Well, in English it is required. "The Hague" is another one.
>>
>>> It appears that the definite article is not required and, when used, does not
have to be considered part of the nomenclature.  I.e., "the Apache OpenOffice project".

>>> I agree that "Apache ODF Toolkit" is difficult to refer to without saying "the".
 I wonder, as does Rob, whether this is simply a matter of habit.  I don't have the tendency
with "Apache Subversion" or any other Apache <one-word> projects that I can think of.

>> Looking at other Apache projects with multi-word names, I see examples
>> of both patterns:
>>
>> -- "the Apache HTTP Server"
>> -- "the Apache Portable Runtime Server"
>>
>> but
>>
>> -- "Apache Traffic Server"
>> -- "Apache Directory Studio"
>>
>> One thing appears common, that even if there is no "the" in the
>> product name, the project is referred to as "the foo project".
>>

>>> - Dennis
>>>
>>> PS: If there were a version number, the desired to prefix "the" goes away!  Apache
ODF Toolkit 0.90, for example.  That's how it works for me.  "Toolkit" seems to be the culprit.