incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Let's discussion on the next release
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 21:02:34 GMT

On Jan 16, 2012, at 11:54 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Devin Han <devinhan@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Thanks you for the contribution of the the first release! Now the plan of
>> the next release is on the desktop.
>> I summary some todo items and wish to get your guys' feedback.
>>
>> (1) Clear crypto process with Apache.
>> (2) Commit encryption/decryption code to the master repository.
>
> These two need to be done together, at the same time.
>
>> (3) Update package name from "org.odftoolkit.*" to
>> "org.apache.odftoolkit.*".
>> (4) Remove ODFDOM Doc API which has been marked as deprecated in the first
>> release.
>
> These two are "breaking changes"  So we will want to do them together,
> IMHO.  Better to pull the bandage off quickly and get the pain over
> with, I think.
>
> Another change we should make at the same time:
>
> 5) Update ODF schema to the final ODF 1.2 schemas, which were
> published last week:
>
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/201201/msg00001.html
>
>> (5) bug fix.
>>

> Always ;-)
>

> I wonder, also:
>
> (6) We have the demo applications build using the ODF Toolkit Simple API:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/simple/demo/index.html
>
> These are very good demos, I think.  But we make it hard for the
> project to update or improve them, since the source code is in ZIP
> files on the website.  So they will break when we do the package
> rename.  Maybe we want to move these samples into SVN, in a "demo" or
> "samples" directory, with their own POM, maybe an assembly if we want
> to build each one individually and then bundle them together into a
> "samples" release package.

I think that a "samples", "demo" or "examples" tree is a good idea. One could argue that it
is a graduation requirement.

In Apache POI the maven artifact id is - poi-examples and it one of the jar files in the binary
distribution and part of the source distribution.

Having a page or folder in the website with the examples is a good idea.

Regards,
Dave