incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Are we doing the RC vote right?
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 01:37:04 GMT

On Jan 5, 2012, at 5:28 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 5, 2012, at 1:19 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>> The RC7 vote is a little confusing. Since there are a number of other
>>> projects that are interested in the ODF Toolkit, we cc'ed them all in
>>> the vote thread, along with this list and the Incubator general list.
>>> That, coupled with this being our first release, has lead to a "messy"
>>> voting thread.  For example:
>>>
>>> 1) We have a +1 from Yegor, but that made it only to the Tika dev list
>>>
>>> http://markmail.org/message/4syron6anolleqlk
>>>
>>> 2) We have several +1's from PPMC members here on odf-dev
>>>
>>> 3) We have one +1 from a PPMC member to odf-private
>>>
>>> 4) We have no +1's from IPMC members on this list or on the Incubator
>>> general list :-(
>>
>> Yegor is on the IPMC. Mentors must be on the IPMC. He did not state that his vote
was "binding" - but I *think* that is implicit.

>> BTW - I've just been elected to the IPMC to be a Mentor for Apache Flex.
>>

> Cool.  Congratulations.

Thanks ... sorry I haven't spent much time here.

- results email on odf-dev. Then an IPMC vote on general@i.a.o.

> We did that on the initial RC:
>
> http://markmail.org/message/6qt5igqggkj66e7d
>
> Then Yegor took a look and found some issues that we needed to fix.
> We've been iterating on that since, now up to RC7, which Yegor did
> give a +1 to.
>
> I hope we don't need to have a separate 1 week PPMC vote on each RC,
> even if we're making only small changes to address reported issues
> from the previous ballot.   I thought I saw something on the incubator
> general list about just kicking off an IPMC vote in that case, for
> subsequent RC's.
>
>> In the future if we want to tell other projects about our votes let's make that a
separate email. IMO a subject like "[FYI] Voting on a release candidate for ODFToolkit" would
be helpful and clearly not the [VOTE] thread.

>> Everyone has different filter rules on their mail and are on more than one project.
Mine came into poi-dev, I guess Yegor has Tika before Poi and ODF on his filter list. Let
this be a lesson learned about cross posting.a VOTE thread.

>>> Any ideas on how to get this vote back on track?
>>
>> Put the results together in a [VOTE][RESULTS] email for odf-dev.
>>

> The weird thing here is we have not received as many PPMC votes as we
> did with RC1.   I think the impression some have is that their votes
> from RC1 still stand, and we're just waiting for IPMC votes now.  So
> they didn't vote again.

With the holidays who knows.

are not subscribed now  to general@i.a.o you ought to be during the vote.

>> Does this make sense? Let's turn in our homework even if it is not perfect ;-)
>>

> I agree that the above makes sense.  This particular instance was a
> weird one.  It sounds like posting a summary of result to-date of the
> RC7 vote, including PPMC votes and mentor votes, to the general list,
> with a little explanation, might help.

JFDI!

Regards,
Dave

>> Regards,
>> Dave,
>>
>> who has a execstackoverflow in a postscript file to debug plus a work release to
do in the next couple of days or I would have done more research on this question.