incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: "Apache ODF Toolkit" versus "The Apache ODF Toolkit"
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 18:27:07 GMT
There's a grammatical question and a policy question.  The question is whether the proper name
is "The Apache Software Foundation" or "Apache Software Foundation."  No fair taking cases
where the "The" is the first (capitalized) word of a sentence or of a title/heading.

Also, notice on the Apache home page, the project names never have "The" as if that is part
of the proper name of the project.

The evidence you need is the use on this page: <https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/open_letter_to_the_open>:

"Earlier this year the OpenOffice.org code base was donated to The Apache Software Foundation.
 The resulting project, Apache OpenOffice (Incubating) is progressing well as a podling in
the Apache Incubator ... ."  That's good evidence though it is not clear that it is a required
style or just something the writer did, aye?

This information *is* definitive: <http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/>.

The legal name of the corporation is indeed "The Apache Software Foundation", <http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/certificate.html>.
 However, it is "[the] ASF", not "The ASF".  I wager that the proper name of this project
is "Apache ODF Toolkit (Incubating)."  Any preceding "the" is simply a definite article and
not part of the proper name.

 - Dennis