incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache ODF Toolkit 0.5-incubating-rc3
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2011 10:29:27 GMT
On Tue, 13 Dec 2011, Devin Han wrote:
> *The vote passes if there are at least 3 +1's from the PPMC/IPMC members
> and more +1's than -1's. This is what is meant by majority consensus. If
> you've gotten this far, congratulations, you're nearly ready to upload and
> announce the release.*

I think that wording isn't great. As it says just below, all releases must
get PMC approval, which for podlings means IPMC approval, so 3 IPMC +1
votes

(Apache release votes require three +1s from members of the overseeing
PMC. This step is required for the release to then be an act of the ASF)

> In my opinion, vote can be considered as pass in dev list, when got 3 +1's
> votes, no matter they were from PPMC members or IPMC members.

Sadly not - releases are a PMC action. They need at least 3 IPMC +1s, and
ideally at least 3 PPMC +1s too

> We only have 3 mentors and not sure all of your guys are IPMC members,
> while other IPMC members are not in this list. Maybe, it's impossible to
> get 3 +1's from IPMC members in the dev list...

I can confirm that all three mentors are on the IPMC. (Most mentors are
IPMC members). With only three mentors, it's usually tough to get the
required 3 IPMC votes on the dev list, so you normally have to reach out
to general@incubator for one or two more

One general thing to point out is that your first incubating release is
always tough. There are always things you've not done before that are
required for an Apache Release, and things which need to be done
differently. It's also a documentation process - you'll need to record
what's involved, usually in a greater detail than before. Needing several
attempts to get it right is quite normal...

However, you should generally find your 2nd release to be much much easier
than the first, and the third very easy (as by then all the issues should
be sorted, the release process should be fully documented, everyone will
understand etc). Once you've cracked that, you're a decent way towards
graduating!

Nick