incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject My testing notes on RC2
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 20:59:24 GMT
I tested on two machines:

1) Ubuntu 11 running OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11pre)
(6b23~pre11-0ubuntu1.11.10) and Maven 2.2.1 (rdebian-6)

2) Windows XP running Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build
1.6.0_29-b11) and Maven 3.0.3

For each environment I downloaded the "0.5-incubating-rc2" tag and
tried a complete build: via "mvn clean package" from the root.  I also
download the RC2 source ZIP file and did the same.

This is what I'm seeing:

On Linux building from tag, it ends with a unit test failure in the Simple API:

Here is the stack trace:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Test set: org.odftoolkit.simple.meta.OfficeMetaTest
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tests run: 29, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.682
sec <<< FAILURE!
testGetLanguage(org.odftoolkit.simple.meta.OfficeMetaTest)  Time
elapsed: 0.021 sec  <<< FAILURE!
junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: null expected:<[rob]> but was:<[en]>
	at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:81)
	at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:87)
	at org.odftoolkit.simple.meta.OfficeMetaTest.testGetLanguage(OfficeMetaTest.java:203)


This is a functional that gave us trouble in RC1 as well.  IMHO, this
is not a critical function, so maybe we can disable that test and
document the problem in the release notes as  a "known issue", with a
link to a JIRA issue.

If I disable that test case then the build completes successfully and
I see all of the generated JAR's.

This was running the clean and install targets.  We should probably
document what is needed for generate the release ZIP files.  This
probably doesn't need to me in the release itself.  But it would be
great if you could put together some instructions on the wiki for how
to make a release, based on what you did here.

On the Windows build I end on the ODFDOM test with this error:

Running org.odftoolkit.odfdom.doc.table.TableCellTest
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireExecutionException: Java heap
space; nested exception is java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

I have a 512MB heap, so it is odd to fail in a test case.  I repeated
with MAVEN-OPTS="-Xmx1025m".  I get the same error.  I tried debugging
it.  It looks like I'm getting the error in testSetGetFormat(), in the
2nd try {} block, when calling
OdfSpreadsheetDocument.newSpreadsheetDocument().

I'm seeing weird things going on.  It might be due to some recursion
issues, or some form of interference with the setUp() function. If you
look at the setUp() function you see it is also calling static
functions in OdfSpreadsheetDocument.  And I see setUp called twice
(but not return) before the call to newSpreadsheetDocument() gives the
memory exception.  Something weird.  But if it is passing for you and
others, then it could be an issue with by JVM.  But that test function
is so long and complex that I don't know.  I think the test code
should be written to be very simple, so we can be sure it is not a
source of bugs ;-)

The above tests were done on the RC2 tagged files in SVN.  I also
repeated the tests with the odftoolkit-0.5-incubating-rc2-src.zip.

When I do this, nothing is built.  Maven returns after 7 seconds.  No
errors.  I see this:

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building Apache ODF Toolkit
[INFO]    task-segment: [clean, install]
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] [clean:clean {execution: default-clean}]
[INFO] [remote-resources:process {execution: default}]
[INFO] [site:attach-descriptor {execution: default-attach-descriptor}]
[INFO] [install:install {execution: default-install}]
[INFO] Installing /home/rob/odftoolkit-0.5-incubating-rc2/pom.xml to
/home/rob/.m2/repository/org/apache/odftoolkit/odftoolkit/0.5-incubating-rc2/odftoolkit-0.5-incubating-rc2.pom
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] BUILD SUCCESSFUL
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Total time: 7 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Tue Dec 06 15:04:44 EST 2011
[INFO] Final Memory: 25M/168M
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------

If instead of build from the package root I go to each component and
"mvn clean install" from the subdir, then it works, except for the
testGetLanguage() test case mentioned earlier.  If I disable that test
case then everything else builds OK.

I also took a quick look at the binary package,  I noticed it was
larger than the source release, which I thought was odd.  It looks
like you are including the source ZIP file inside of the binary ZIP.
That makes is 67MB.

I really like your new README.txt file.  It has a lot of good info.

-Rob

Mime
View raw message