incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Devin Han <devin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RC2 binary package
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 09:13:48 GMT
Thank you for point it out, Rob. When I deep into the jars which generated
by Maven, I notice the problem maybe easy to resolve.
Maven is really powerful, which have helped us do all of the 3 options. In
the following content, I will take
odfdom-java-0.8.8-incubating-rc2-jar-with-dependencies.jar and
odfdom-java-0.8.8-incubating-rc2.jar for example.

2011/12/7 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>

> I looked some more at the binary package.  We're currently includeing
> the base JARs of the Apache code, as well as the "with-dependencies"
> JARs that Maven generates.
>
> I think this interacts with the requirements for NOTICE.txt and
> LICENSE.txt.  The with-dependencies JARs include the classes for all
> of our dependencies, and all of their dependencies, etc.  So it is
> self-contained, except for system classes.  But that makes us a
> distributor of these modules, and we would need to include all these
> licenses in our LICENSE.txt file, as well as any required notices in
> the NOTICE.txt file.

Yes, we are the distributor of the modules. But, Maven centural repository
should be the world biggest distributor, how can they do it?
The answer is:

> So, option 1 is to track down all of that information for the
> licenses. I think Devin has done it one-level deep.  But I think we
> need to do this recursively and pull these licenses and notices into
> our own.  Is that correct?

Please open odfdom-java-0.8.8-incubating-rc2-jar-with-dependencies.jar with
WinZIP. There is a directory called "license" which includes all of the
necessary licenses of the third party jars as long as they are contained in
these jars when they were deliveried to Maven central repository.

For odfdom-java-0.8.8-incubating-rc2.jar, you also can find the LICENSE
file in \META-INF\. If any other project has dependence on ODFDOM and built
by Maven, this file will copied automatically to its "with-dependencies"
jar.

The issue is some of the third partys' jars don't contain LICENSE files
when deliveried... It also difficult for us to find these license files in
manual..
My question is whether it is enough for us to contain these licenses which
listed in "license"  directory?

If yes, the issue is resolved. If not, let's go to Option 2 ;)

> Option 2 would be to not ship the "with-dependencies" JARs.  Just ship
> our own core JARs and list the third party dependencies in our release
> notes, perhaps with URL's and version pre-req's.

We can do it in manual. But I think Maven has done it to us. See:
odfdom-java-0.8.8-incubating-rc2.jar\META-INF\ , there is a file called
DEPENDENCES. Its content is:

// Transitive dependencies of this project determined from the
// maven pom organized by organization.

ODFDOM