incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: RC2 binary package
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 00:42:25 GMT
It may be desirable to include LICENSE and
NOTICE files in your delivered jar files themselves,
as appropriate.

There was just mention of that in a comment by Kevan Miller on
LEGAL-119: <
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-119?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13163863#comment-13163863>

I don't know where Kevan does it, but the META-INF/ path
seems like a good choice.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 16:08
To: odf-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RC2 binary package

I looked some more at the binary package.  We're currently includeing
the base JARs of the Apache code, as well as the "with-dependencies"
JARs that Maven generates.

I think this interacts with the requirements for NOTICE.txt and
LICENSE.txt.  The with-dependencies JARs include the classes for all
of our dependencies, and all of their dependencies, etc.  So it is
self-contained, except for system classes.  But that makes us a
distributor of these modules, and we would need to include all these
licenses in our LICENSE.txt file, as well as any required notices in
the NOTICE.txt file.

So, option 1 is to track down all of that information for the
licenses. I think Devin has done it one-level deep.  But I think we
need to do this recursively and pull these licenses and notices into
our own.  Is that correct?

Option 2 would be to not ship the "with-dependencies" JARs.  Just ship
our own core JARs and list the third party dependencies in our release
notes, perhaps with URL's and version pre-req's.

Option 3, a variation of 2, would be to also create a Maven
Archetypesor a sample POM that would enable the user to jumpstart
their application.  All the structure would be setup, so the
dependencies would automatically download for them from Maven Central.

-Rob