incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Devin Han <devin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] odftoolkit-0.5-incubating-rc1 is ready
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:05:07 GMT
2011/11/29 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>

> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 9:27 PM, Devin Han <devinhan@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After learning Apache release policy[1], I prepared a candidate release
> on
> > people.apache.org.
> > First time do this work, so maybe exist omission or misunderstand, please
> > examine it and give your comments.
>
> Hi Devin,
>
> Thanks again for taking this big step forward and creating a release
> candidate (RC) for us to review.
>
> I downloaded via this command:
>
> scp robweir@people.apache.org:
> /home/devinhan/odftoolkit-release/odftoolkit-0.5-incubating/rc1/*
> .

OK,  the RC2 will supply a http addressable way.
Thanks Oliver's help.

> I tested on Ubuntu 11.04
>
> A few things I noticed:
>
> 1.  In the source release there is no instructions for how to build.
> Maybe in CHANGES.txt we can add a short section that says something
> like:
>
> The Apache ODF Toolkit uses Apache Maven for building (link to Maven
> website).  If you have Maven already installed you can build by
> entering the command "mvn install".

> 2. There is nothing in CHANGES.txt that points back to our website:
> http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/index.html

3. In general, we should try to connect the user to other resources
> that would be useful to them, like the sample code, demos, odf-users
> mailing list, JIRA for issues, etc.  We could have that all in a
> README file, or have a link to a "getting started" page on the
> website.

Agree, we supply the information of 1, 2, 3 in README file for Simple API.
I think we can continue do it for ODF Toolkit.
RC2 will include the update.

> 4. In CHANGES.txt we have this line:
>
> "The following people have contributed to ODF Toolkit 0.5 by
> submitting or commenting on the issues resolved in this release:"
>
> I wonder if we should be broader in who we acknowledge.  Some people
> contributed via comments on the mailing list, for example.
>
> Maybe list all committers and mentors (from this page:
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/odftoolkit.html) as well as any
> non-committers who contributed patches or reported bugs that were
> fixed.

Good idea!  That will enhance people's passion to contribute to ODF Toolkit.

> 5. When I do a mvn install from the source release route, I get 1 failed
> test:
>
> Failed tests:
>  testGetLanguage(org.odftoolkit.simple.meta.OfficeMetaTest)
>
> When I run mvn install from /simple I get two failed tests:
>
> testGetRowCount(org.odftoolkit.simple.meta.MetaDocumentStatisticTest)
> testGetLanguage(org.odftoolkit.simple.meta.OfficeMetaTest)
>
> It is odd I get different results.

OK, I can check it. Or maybe you can supply the exception trace.

> [...]
>
> ./generator/schema2template/src/main/resources/examples/odf/OpenDocument-strict-schema-v1.1.rng
>
> ./generator/schema2template/src/main/resources/examples/odf/OpenDocument-strict-schema-v1.0-os.rng
>
> ./generator/schema2template/src/main/resources/examples/odf/OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng
>
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/odf1.0/OpenDocument-manifest-schema-v1.0-os.rng
>
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/odf1.0/OpenDocument-strict-schema-v1.0-os.rng
>
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/odf1.0/OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/mathml3-deprecated.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/algebra-logic.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/sequences_series.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/specfun.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/mathml3-presentation.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/basic-content-elements.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/mathml3-common.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/mathml3-pragmatic.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/mathml3-content.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/constants.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/mathml3-cds.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/mathml3-cds-pragmatic.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/sets.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/mathml3-strict.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/relations.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/calculus_veccalc.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/linear_algebra.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/mathml3-strict-content.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/statistics.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/errors.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/mathml3.0/mathml3.rng
>
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/odf1.2/OpenDocument-v1.2-cos01-manifest-schema.rng
>
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/odf1.2/OpenDocument-v1.2-cos01-dsig-schema.rng
>
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/odf1.2/OpenDocument-v1.2-cos01-schema.rng
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/odf1.1/OpenDocument-schema-v1.1.rng
>
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/odf1.1/OpenDocument-manifest-schema-v1.1.rng
>
> ./validator/src/main/resources/schema/odf1.1/OpenDocument-strict-schema-v1.1.rng
> ./validator/src/test/resources/filter.rng
>

> So... what can we do now?  Can we download these schemas directly from
> OASIS and the W3C, via Maven?
>
> The ODF schemas are available here, from OASIS:
>
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office
>
> The MathML schemas seem to be here:  http://www.w3.org/Math/RelaxNG/
>
> But this is a significant change to the build, so we'll need to be careful.
>
> Removing the schemas will also give us a much cleaner RAT report:

Maven supplies download plugin:
http://mojo.codehaus.org/wagon-maven-plugin/download-single-mojo.html
I saw some other guys download third party files directly when run maven
build process.
we can reference their pom.xml configurations.

7. I just took a quick look at the binary release.  I see that you
> have all of the JAR's, according to the Maven directory structure,
> e.g.:
>
> /odfdom/target/odfdom-java-0.8.8-incubating-rc1.jar
> /simple/target/simple-odf-0.7-incubating-rc1.jar
>
> etc.
>
> But if someone is using Maven then they don't really need our binary
> release.  They'll just get it from Maven Central.  So our binary
> release is mainly useful for someone who is not using Maven.  But
> would it be easier for them to have all the JAR's in one directory, to
> make it easier to add to their classpath?

OK, RC2 will be a more simple directly structure.

--
-Devin