incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to handle the downloads and visitors?
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 15:14:25 GMT
On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Devin Han <devinhan@apache.org> wrote:
> Before migrated to Apache, we use Google Analytics(
> https://www.google.com/analytics/) to hand the downloads and visitors of
> Simple API website.
> These data is important for us to improve our project, so we continue need a
> tool or service to help us work on it. Especially, the first release is
> coming, so it's time to discuss it.
> Is there any rules in ASF about using these tools or services?
> I see a similar discussion 'How to handle the downloads ' in ooo-dev list
> for your reference:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201108.mbox/%3c4E36E077.2040401@wtnet.de%3e

For downloads from Maven Central, it is easy to get status, e.g.,:

http://www.sonatype.com/people/2010/12/now-available-central-download-statistics-for-oss-projects/

But it would be harder to get accurate stats for download from
Apache's mirrors.  Maybe you could track how many people click our
download link in this project's website. But it would be hard to tell
whether the user in fact did complete a download.  But maybe we don't
care about that.

Also, see this page:
http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/projects/ant.html

But I'm not sure if that is based on mirror downloads as well.

-Rob