incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to contribute
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2011 19:58:54 GMT
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Henrique Lobo Weissmann
<loboweissmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in 2009 I made few contributions to the ODF Toolkit project and started my
> own related project (ODF Easy) based on ODF DOM. Recently I received an
> invitation from Devin Han to rejoin this project, and, of course, I
> accepted. :)
> So, how can I contribute?

Hi Henrique,

Sorry for the late response.  Three of the main project contributors
were on vacation yesterday, and another one was busy writing a
standards proposal.

But welcome to the new Apache ODF Toolkit project!

How to get involved?  Joining this odf-dev list was the first step.
I'd recommend that you also read over the project website:

http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/

You can download the Toolkit code from our Subversion repository
according to the instructions here:

http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/source.html

If you are new to Apache, you might want to take a look at the "How
the ASF works" page:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

The section on "roles" is good to understand: users, contributors,
committers, PMC members.  Initially you have only read access to the
source code.  So making contributions is done by submitting patches.
You can attach those to JIRA issues.  Contributors who demonstrate a
pattern of making high quality contributions then are voted in as
committers.  Committers have direct write access to the version
control and can check in their own changes, as well as help review and
integrate incoming patches.

> If you have any interest, I can even donate the source code of my own
> project ODF Easy (if it can have any use) as a form of contribution. I
> remember that back then the Simple API was embrionary. How is that today?

The Simple API has made a lot of progress.   We should compare and see
if there are some parts of ODF Easy that could be merged in.

But right now, our initial concern, as a new Apache project, is to get
a new combined Apache release of our components.  At first we're not
going to add new features.  We're just working through the Apache IP
review and releases processes.  That might take another 3-4 weeks.
After that we can talk about a more ambitious next release.

In any case, welcome to the project!

-Rob