incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Devin Han <devin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to handle the downloads and visitors?
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 02:13:49 GMT
2011/10/24 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Devin Han <devinhan@apache.org> wrote:
> > Before migrated to Apache, we use Google Analytics(
> > https://www.google.com/analytics/) to hand the downloads and visitors of
> > Simple API website.
> > These data is important for us to improve our project, so we continue
> need a
> > tool or service to help us work on it. Especially, the first release is
> > coming, so it's time to discuss it.
> > Is there any rules in ASF about using these tools or services?
> > I see a similar discussion 'How to handle the downloads ' in ooo-dev list
> > for your reference:
> >
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201108.mbox/%3c4E36E077.2040401@wtnet.de%3e
> >

> For downloads from Maven Central, it is easy to get status, e.g.,:
>

> http://www.sonatype.com/people/2010/12/now-available-central-download-statistics-for-oss-projects/

Yes, we also have. see this snapshot:
 https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/odf/documents/odftoolkit's maven
statistics.png.png

> But it would be harder to get accurate stats for download from
> Apache's mirrors.  Maybe you could track how many people click our
> download link in this project's website. But it would be hard to tell
> whether the user in fact did complete a download.  But maybe we don't
> care about that.

Agree, we can suppose most of users complete download.

> Also, see this page:
> http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/projects/ant.html
>
> But I'm not sure if that is based on mirror downloads as well.

Cool!

My concern is whether ASF allow us continue use Google Analytics to hand the
downloads and visitors. Since March, we have generate lots of data there.
See this file:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/odf/documents/Analytics_simple.odftoolkit.org__20110724-20111024_(DashboardReport).pdf

--
-Devin