incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Stahl <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Confirm the change set will be included in the first release.
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2011 18:42:04 GMT
On 22.09.2011 20:57, Svante Schubert wrote:
> Am 22.09.2011 19:17, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Svante Schubert
>> <svante.schubert@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 5) We need to agree on an initial version number for the release.
>> Apache ODF Toolkit version X.X ?
> Currently every module ODF Validator, ODFDOM and Simple API has its own
> version number. (Michael Brauer - the former project owner - had not
> given a version number to the validator, but I added one with the recent
> update).

the validator already has a version number, currently 1.1.4:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/odf/trunk/validator/src/main/java/org/odftoolkit/odfvalidator/Main.java?revision=1172466&view=markup#l41

> The versions are now:
> 0.6.6. for Simple API
> 0.8.7 for ODFDOM and the validator.

so now the validator has two version numbers?

> Does it makes sense to give each module its version number and a
> different one for the overall umbrella deliverable?
> I think this make sense as if there are new tools in the future, they
> might start with their own numbering and if a module was not change its
> version will not be updated, otherwise confusing the user.
>
> Therefore my suggestion is to keep the version numbers of all sub
> projects and give the overall project the highest version number of all
> for the start, 0.8.7.

a good strategy in principle, but how do you prevent ambiguities when the
validator again reaches higher version numbers in the 1.x range that were
already used previously?

> - Svante

regards,
 michael