incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: Source code checked in, what next?
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 21:23:39 GMT
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011, Svante Schubert wrote:
> If there is no strict Apache rule to change the package name, I would
> love to keep it to cause as less distress for existing users as
> possible.

You are supposed to change eventually!

> What is Tika's reason to stick with JDK5?

I think the most recent discussion on it was:
http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Hudson-build-is-unstable-Tika-trunk-394-td1818975.html

> ODFDOM's reason to use JDK 6 is its need for the ODF package encryption
> & signature feature and even JDK 7 comes along with improved ZIP access
> of NIO2, therefore I will from my current point of view I will vote to
> switch to JDK in July 2012 when JDK 6 is EOL.

If you have a reason to change, then you can, I was just suggesting that
you consider a major version bump along with it to make it clear to
everyone

POI switched to needing JDK 5 back in 2009, and we still sometimes get
people asking about letting it run on JDK 1.4!

Nick