incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: Source code checked in, what next?
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 20:13:32 GMT
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011, Svante Schubert wrote:
> I would favor to do a quick release without new features. Allowing us to 
> focus on adapting the new Apache processes and to setup the required 
> documentation.

This is a sensible course of action, get the first release out soon (so 
you get the procedures in place and everything setup), then concentrate on 
shiny new features :)

> I assume when we do an Apache release we need to change the Java package
> names as well from odftoolkit.org to apache.org. What are the Apache
> rules here?

I'd suggest a quick check on general@incubator to see what most others 
have done. I know of some who've made the switch ASAP, others who waited 
for the next major release (they did a minor release after starting 
incubation to get the processes right and the IP stuff sorted, but without 
changing APIs). Probably best see what the majority do.

(My hunch is that the best bet is to do a minor release without the 
change, to minimise the work on the first release, then shortly after do a 
major release with the change, but it's worth checking what others 
have found to work well)

> As we know that we will be using JDK 6 for the next encryption and
> signature update, we should save time by dropping the tests for EOL JDK
> 5, switch now to JDK 6 and adapt the pom.xml(s) accordingly.

FWIW, Tika is still on 1.5, so if ODFToolkit required 1.6 then we couldn't 
use it

That said, if the odf community is keen, then ignore Tika and upgrade! 
Probably best to roll that into the release which changes the packaging

Nick

Mime
View raw message