incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: Source code checked in, what next?
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:52:31 GMT
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011, Rob Weir wrote:
> Is an SGA appropriate in this case?  This is not a corporate
> "donation" of source code.  And it was ALv2 from the start, in the ODF
> Toolkit Union, so there is no need to re-license it.
>
> Maybe handle this as part of the IP review?  If we find any files that
> are not under ALv2 or a compatible license, then we need to get an SGA
> or remove that file.  Would that work?

Have all the original contributors signed an iCLA?

The process we need to follow is:
   http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#initial-ip-clearance

Roughly speaking, we need everyone who's made (significant) contributions
to either file an iCLA, or send in a SGA.

(There may be other options as the code was always ASL v2 licensed, but
the above is certainly the simplest)

>> Before a release could happen, there are a few steps that are needed. Off
>> the top of my head, these include:
>> * Licenses of dependencies need to be checked
>> * NOTICE files need to be created, including dependency details if needed
>> * License and Incubator discalaimers need checking/adding
>> * Rat needs to be setup for the project, with appropriate excludes
>> * Missing license headers (as identified by Rat) need to be resolved
>> * The release process needs documenting
>>
>> These things can be a bit of a faff on the first release, but they make life
>> much much easier going forward, so it's worth tackling them soon (and they
>> need doing before the first release)
>
> Sounds painful... until it becomes routine.

Most of the work is needed for the 1st release, and all other ones are
much much simpler!

Nick