incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mentors help me!
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:31:33 GMT
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 5:20 AM, Svante Schubert
<svante.schubert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am 22.09.2011 20:13, schrieb Nick Burch:
>> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Svante Schubert wrote:
>>> If this project would like to setup a continuous integration via a
>>> Huson/Jenkins server, are there already running systems, where we can
>>> take the environment as the default and adapt that to our needs?
>>
>> There are four build systems available, for details see:
>>      http://www.apache.org/dev/services.html#build
>>
>> The first step is to pick which one to use, Jenkins and BuildBot are
>> the two popular ones. (Lots of projects also run Gump as well, but
>> often more to check if there are upcoming dependency changes that'll
>> affect things)
>>
> Only worked with Hudson before and would therefore pick Jenkins (the
> Hudson offspring), just because I know it best.
> Has anyone experience with BuildBot? I read about problems with its
> window slaves in the 0.8 version (0.8.5 is out) and that Jenkins has
> better out-of-the-box test result charts:
> see
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5653372/buildbot-vs-hudson-jenkins-for-c-continuous-integration
>
>> Next step is to get a build script (usually either Ant or Maven) that
>> does the build and test steps in one go.
> Obvious we want to stick with Maven, as the only part of the project
> using Ant (XSLT Runner) seems to be redundant (after providing ODFDOM
> with an XSLT command line interface ).

Moving XSLT Runner and Ant Task to Maven is not hard.  I have it
working on my machine.  Once I've cleaned it up I'll check it in.  At
that point we'll be all Maven.

Is there something we should be doing to better deal with the
cross-module dependencies?  For example, Simple, Validator and
XSLT-Runner have hard-coded dependencies on ODFDOM 0.8.7.  But
shouldn't we really be building and testing against the latest
version, e.g., the trunk?

Or do we want to stage that more deliberately, e.g., after we agree to
branch for a release?

-Rob