incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: Confirm the change set will be included in the first release.
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2011 17:17:09 GMT
On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Svante Schubert
<> wrote:
> Am 21.09.2011 09:30, schrieb Devin Han:
>> Hi all,
>> As you know, most of migration work  has been completed except JIRA and IP
>> clearance. I think it's time to discuss the change set will be included in
>> the first release.
>> We have had a agreement that there would no new feature included in this
>> version. In my opinion, the content of the first release should contain:
>> 1. Rename package name from "org.odftoolkit" to "org.apache";
>> 2. Simple API and ODFDOM merge;
>> 3. License update;
>> 4. Code refactor, it's an opportunity to remove the deprecated method,
>> change method name and clear the code. User has the biggest tolerance this
>> time.
>> Any comment?
> I believe we all have agreed not to add new features to our first release.
> The general question is, shall we minimize our changes for the first
> release to get a release as soon as possible ready, which is basically
> identical to the last one in ODF TOOLKIT, only in a different location
> with our environment set-up and documented.
> Or shall we do required major code changes as well, so the user will
> have no larger problems after using that version.
> I would vote for release often and early and do two releases before
> coming up with a feature release.
> First do a more-or-less identical release of former ODF Toolkit and
> second to the required changes.
> We might still want to adapt the license - to avoid any legal problems -
> and the package names - to make obvious where the code comes from -, as
> users might do package changes easily with a search & replace.
> But I have no strong feelings on that.

We can't do any release until we've done the IP review, including
updating the headers, the NOTICE file, etc.  I believe this is an
Apache requirement.

A good overview of the Apache requirements is here:

I'd support the idea of making an Apache release of the code we have
now, doing the work necessary to meet the Apache requirements, but not
making any functional changes to the code.

On the other hand, we're waiting for the Oracle SGA right now.  So I'm
not sure we can make much progress on the header cleanup until we get
that.  According to this page we are not supposed to change the
headers until we have permission from the copyright owner:

What we can do now, is make progress in areas like:

1) A script to build the combined release archives for the project

2) Drafting combined release notes, or maybe a top level release note
that points to component-specific release notes?

3) Maybe unified JavaDoc?

4) Merge of ODFDOM and Simple API could also be done, I think.  Or
next release.  I don't have strong preference.

5) We need to agree on an initial version number for the release.
Apache ODF Toolkit version X.X ?


> Regards,
> Svante

View raw message