incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project naming
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 00:13:06 GMT
On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Svante Schubert
<svante.schubert@gmail.com> wrote:
> We started it already by naming the URL of our repository, but I would
> like to know if you share the impression that the dropping of the naming
> part "Toolkit" makes sense.
>
> I suggest to call our project: The Apache ODF project.
> Short, simple, elegant..

I'd like a better name than "Apache ODF Toolkit".  But I'm not sure
"Apache ODF" would work.  In particular, I wonder about OASIS's claim
on the "ODF" trademark.

There are other Apache projects that implement standards:

Xerces is an XML parser

Xalan is XSLT engine

FOP is XLS Formatting Objects processor

Batik is SVG

Shindig is an OpenSocial container

Chemistry is CMIS library

And so on.  Aside from FOP, it looks like most project names are
either inside jokes (ask about the original of "POI") or unrelated to
the technology.

> Another reason to do so: I would like that this project becomes the
> reference implementation of ODF.

Well, that will happen based on the completeness and quality of the
implementation, not based purely on the name ;-)