incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hello - Queston about packaging
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 16:50:09 GMT
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Haven't really introduced myself on this list, this project so first
> that.

Hi Drew, glad to see you here.   Less noisy, isn't it ;-)

> Used to write code, haven't done so in a decade, would like to get back
> to it a little...ok so much for an intro :)
>
> What I would like to do is to package (shallow fork??) the toolkit
> libraries for distribution via COAPP[1]. COAPP is an open source package
> manager for windows, I've been loosely following that projects progress
> since it started.

Interesting.  In the past we've released on the ODF Toolkit Union's
website, as well Maven Central [a].  It looks like COAPP is a
Windows-specific package manager.

> So - as I said, my skills are very rusty and I am sure I'll be a real
> PITA as I spin up - but I just wanted to touch base, see if anyone would
> have a problem with me working on such a project, etc.

How were you thinking of doing this?

1) You take Apache ODF Toolkit releases, and then customize the
packaging yourself and submit them to COAPP?

or

2) Within the project we create COAPP packages and include these
packages in our releases and we officially submit them COAPP?

Permission is not needed to do #1.  The Apache license gives you the
rights you need.  #2 would require some more work.

> Time wise, not a big rush on my side, for now I'm off to the COAPP site
> to go over the latest docs. I don't think has packaged a java based
> library yet, so will ask about that and go from there.

What is their focus?  End user open source?  Dev tools?

If developers is the focus, another approach would be to get something
like Apache Ivy [b] included, and then let that handle the Java
libraries itself.  That then gets you dependency management.

Regards,

-Rob

[a] http://search.maven.org/
[b] http://ant.apache.org/ivy/faq.html