incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Source code checked in, what next?
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:05:22 GMT
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 7:31 AM, Nick Burch <nick.burch@alfresco.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> I've been playing around with it for most of the day, but just realized
>> that the notification was just via JIRA, not to the list.
>>
>> Last night Gavin loaded our dump file.
>>
>> You can grab our code at:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/odf/trunk
>
> Great news. I've updated the project status page:
>    http://incubator.apache.org/projects/odftoolkit.html
> (May take an hour or so to show up)
>
> Once it has updated, can people check through and ensure all the status
> entries are up to date?

OK

>> At that point, the website, the code, the issues, and the mailing
>> lists are all at Apache.
>
> How are we doing on code grants?

Is an SGA appropriate in this case?  This is not a corporate
"donation" of source code.  And it was ALv2 from the start, in the ODF
Toolkit Union, so there is no need to re-license it.

Maybe handle this as part of the IP review?  If we find any files that
are not under ALv2 or a compatible license, then we need to get an SGA
or remove that file.  Would that work?

>> We should think about what we want to put in our first release, whether we
>> want to consolidate the work we already have and do a quick release (say in
>> 4 weeks) or whether we want to do something more ambitious.
>
> Before a release could happen, there are a few steps that are needed. Off
> the top of my head, these include:
> * Licenses of dependencies need to be checked
> * NOTICE files need to be created, including dependency details if needed
> * License and Incubator discalaimers need checking/adding
> * Rat needs to be setup for the project, with appropriate excludes
> * Missing license headers (as identified by Rat) need to be resolved
> * The release process needs documenting
>
> These things can be a bit of a faff on the first release, but they make life
> much much easier going forward, so it's worth tackling them soon (and they
> need doing before the first release)

Sounds painful... until it becomes routine.