incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Devin Han <devin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project naming
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 03:26:58 GMT
2011/9/21 Daisy Guo <daisy.ycguo@gmail.com>

> 2011/9/20 Svante Schubert <svante.schubert@gmail.com>:
> > Am 20.09.2011 01:49, schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
> >> I knew I should have objected to shortening of the name to odf more
> strenuously.
> > I missed that somehow. Just suggested in the previous mail to name the
> > project "Apache ODF SDK"
>
> I like a understandable name. "Apache ODF SDK" sounds good.

"Apache ODF SDK" is an easy understandable name.  Just a little serious ;)

I also investigated the name of Apache Project.
http://projects.apache.org/indexes/quick.html
There are several styles:
1. Animal Name, such as, Tomcat,  Camel, Pig and Ant. So many animals, isn't
it? Even there is a project called Zookeeper ;)
2. Goods Name, such as Nutch, Xalan, Axis, Rivet
3. City Name, such as Derby,
4. Technical style, such as log4j, XMLBeans, HTTP Server, Directory,
Validator, JXPath, IO. Technology is always the theme of Apache.
If we just limited it in implementing standards, there is PDFBox there,
besides Xalan, Shindig and Batik.

My opinion is if we have enough confidence that users are easy to find and
know our project even we use an ODF unrelated name, we can use some
interesting name, such as,
1. Apache Panda: Lovely animal from China, everyone would like it.
2. Apache Food: ODF toolkit is an useful material for all of the ODF
developers, just like food for person. On the other hand, Food is similar
with odf. Just turn F to the first position and add an O after it.

If we want to follow the technical style,  Apache ODF SDK and Apache ODFBox
are both OK. In China, when I google "ODF", it always suggests me replace
with " PDF". We can make use of it. When people search PDFBox, ODFBox maybe
also in the result list.

Besides them, I also supply another project name: *Goodf* or *GoODF*,  the
reason is:
1. Short, simple, elegant.
2. "ODF" is included.
3. "Good" is included, we can describe it as Good ODF! or ODF Good!
4. "Go" is includeed, we can describe it as Go to ODF.  A very vivid name,
isn't it? Arouse people's enthusiasm to use ODF and ODF Toolkit.

I like *Goodf* and give it a vote.

--
-Devin