incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Yegor Kozlov <yegor.koz...@dinom.ru>
Subject Re: Directory structure for our initial release
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2011 11:04:25 GMT
On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 3:43 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> Now that we have Maven support for the XSLT-Runner and
> XSLT-Runner-Task modules, I think we're ready to look at what we want
> for a release.
>
> Since POI is the most similar project to ours, it is instructive to
> look at their release:
>
> http://poi.apache.org/download.html#POI-3.7
>
> They have a bin release and a src release, and provide each one as
> tar.gz and .zip archives.
>
> Within the binary release, the directory structure is:
>
> /poi-3.7
>
> /poi-3.7/docs (a lot of doc.  Not just the API doc, but a bunch of
> other docs,case studies,  some of it project related, but contribution
> guidelines, subversion info, etc.  I'm not sure why this is in the
> release, and not just on the website?)

It is up to the project what to include in the docs directory. If you
bundle dependent jars in the ./lib directory then it makes sense to
bundle all the project docs too.

> /poi-3.7/lib (dependency libraries, like commons-logging, junit and log4j)
>
> /poi-3.7/ooxml-lib (another set of dependency libraries, not sure why
> it is separate from the above,  Maybe only needed for one of their
> components)

We keep lib and ooxml-lib separate for historical reasons. These
directories will be merged eventually.

> /poi-3.7/poi*.jar (various poi jars)
>
> /poi-3.7/LICENSE
> /poi-3.7/NOTICE
> /poi-3.7/RELEASE-NOTES.txt (consolidated release notes for the project)
>

> So that is simple, and something we could easily emulate:
>
> /odf-0.5
>
> /odf-0.5/docs (Initially just JavaDoc.  We could generate this
> cross-module, and have a single JavaDoc site, or produce different
> sets for each component.)
>
> /odf-0.5/lib (dependency libraries, not all users are using Maven, so
> we should probably  bundle xerces, xalan, junit, etc.)
>
> /odf-0.5/odf*.jar (one JAR per component)
>
> /odf-0.5/LICENSE
>
> /odf-0.5/NOTICE
>
> /odf-0.5/RELEASE-NOTES.txt (consolidated release notes for the project)
>

> For the src release, maybe we can keep it simple, and have it be an
> archive of our SVN's odf/trunk/, after doing an "svn export' to get a
> clean copy without the SVN hidden files.
>
> A top level "build-release.xml" Ant task could execute all the above.

Maven-driven projects should use the Assembly Plugin to create
distribution assemblies, see
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/. There are
predefined 'bin' and 'src' descriptors that should do the job.

Yegor