incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Svante Schubert <svante.schub...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Merge of ODFDOM DOC package and Simple API
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2011 09:42:31 GMT
Am 23.09.2011 05:27, schrieb Devin Han:
> 2011/9/23 Svante Schubert <svante.schubert@gmail.com>
>
>> I agree with Devin to do the merge of Simple API and the ODFDOM Doc
>> layer before the next feature release.
>>
>> Thanks for your support ;)
> At least, we can remove the ODFDOM Doc layer.
> Lots of bugs in it, user should drop it and turn to Simple API.

Careful with the claim of bugs, it might backfire as we wrote that code
together. ;)
Nevertheless I agree to favor Simple API.
It just took a little longer to understand that with 'merging with DOC
layer'  you meant 'deleting the DOC layer'.
The DOC layer is a superset in regard of functionality and especially
the tests should be reviewed if they might help us to archive a better
coverage.
In our first no-functionality-change release we should keep the doc
layer and mark/document that layer as deprecated.
>> One think I have observed, that the Simple API removed the Automatic
>> Styles from the high-level layer, which is the right decision, but did
>> added user support for style maps into the lower layer, which made the
>> usage really difficult.
>>
> No, Simple API doesn't do anything on Automatic Styles... It's the work of
> ODFDOM. When we adopted to ODFDOM0.8.7, we did updated some code concerned
> with Automatic Styles. But it caused by ODFDOM updated, not Simple.

How does the Simple API mark allow the user to access formatting that
are not part of a named style?
For instance, mark some text as bold or change the color.