incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Svante Schubert <svante.schub...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Confirm the change set will be included in the first release.
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2011 17:05:28 GMT
Am 21.09.2011 09:30, schrieb Devin Han:
> Hi all,
>
> As you know, most of migration work  has been completed except JIRA and IP
> clearance. I think it's time to discuss the change set will be included in
> the first release.
> We have had a agreement that there would no new feature included in this
> version. In my opinion, the content of the first release should contain:
> 1. Rename package name from "org.odftoolkit" to "org.apache";
> 2. Simple API and ODFDOM merge;
> 3. License update;
> 4. Code refactor, it's an opportunity to remove the deprecated method,
> change method name and clear the code. User has the biggest tolerance this
> time.
>
> Any comment?
I believe we all have agreed not to add new features to our first release.
The general question is, shall we minimize our changes for the first
release to get a release as soon as possible ready, which is basically
identical to the last one in ODF TOOLKIT, only in a different location
with our environment set-up and documented.
Or shall we do required major code changes as well, so the user will
have no larger problems after using that version.

I would vote for release often and early and do two releases before
coming up with a feature release.
First do a more-or-less identical release of former ODF Toolkit and
second to the required changes.

We might still want to adapt the license - to avoid any legal problems -
and the package names - to make obvious where the code comes from -, as
users might do package changes easily with a search & replace.
But I have no strong feelings on that.

Regards,
Svante