incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Svante Schubert <svante.schub...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Choice of JDK version (earlier -- Re: Source code checked in, what next?)
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 11:54:45 GMT
Hi Jeremias,

Am 20.09.2011 12:29, schrieb Jeremias Maerki:
> On 20.09.2011 12:15:36 Svante Schubert wrote:
>> Our project is meant as a software tool for other developers and is not
>> addressing the end user market.
> By users, I meant developers using ODFDOM, i.e. the users of the library.
>
>> I have observed the laziness of user, similar to the desire of stability
>> of user that are not changing any software of a running system at all.
>> The latter makes sense, but if there is sufficient test coverage there
>> is no problem.
> ...or "probably no problem". People still have to re-integration-test
> their systems after a version upgrade.
>
>> I fully agree on the early adoption as acceptance killer and that the
>> EOL is a decision of the manufacturer.
>> Nevertheless there are no further security patches and there should be
>> some date to move on, as we are saving time in our development, becoming
>> more efficient.
> Of course, there is a time to move on. The trick is to find the right
> one.
>
>> I am curious why people stick with an old Java version and taking the
>> security risk?
> Because they don't expose their system to the evil internet. Because
> they may not be able to migrate to a newer platform because their
> application server doesn't support it, yet, or because some legacy
> software (that can no longer be upgraded) doesn't work with a new JDK.
> Or because the boss doesn't allow it or doesn't want to allocate the
> resources for the upgrade of the whole platform. All more or less lame
> excuses but it seems to happen surprisingly often. That's why I was
> talking about "realities". Of course, you could argue: why would they
> then want to upgrade ODFDOM or doing new development with ODFDOM? I'm
> not saying anything like you should do this or that. I just advocate to
> make an informed and balanced decision.

Thanks for the examples. We are on one page, to make a informed and
balanced decision.
There is no action required at this moment, as we need the JDK6 anyway
soon due to important encryption & signature feature and now either IBM
is taking care of the JDK5 support for the first release or we got a
dedicated server testing all JDKs. In either way there is no further
information on JDK 6 usage necessary.
If JDK7 is worth to switch, will be an interesting discussion mid of
next years.
Curious if the usage of NIO2 makes it reasonable enough to push others
as well to upgrade,
Looking forward to continue this thread...

Best regards,
Svante