incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Svante Schubert <svante.schub...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Source code checked in, what next?
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 21:13:28 GMT
Hi Nick,

Am 19.09.2011 22:13, schrieb Nick Burch:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2011, Svante Schubert wrote:
>> I would favor to do a quick release without new features. Allowing us
>> to focus on adapting the new Apache processes and to setup the
>> required documentation.
>
> This is a sensible course of action, get the first release out soon
> (so you get the procedures in place and everything setup), then
> concentrate on shiny new features :)
>
>> I assume when we do an Apache release we need to change the Java package
>> names as well from odftoolkit.org to apache.org. What are the Apache
>> rules here?
>
> I'd suggest a quick check on general@incubator to see what most others
> have done. I know of some who've made the switch ASAP, others who
> waited for the next major release (they did a minor release after
> starting incubation to get the processes right and the IP stuff
> sorted, but without changing APIs). Probably best see what the
> majority do.
If there is no strict Apache rule to change the package name, I would
love to keep it to cause as less distress for existing users as possible.

> (My hunch is that the best bet is to do a minor release without the
> change, to minimise the work on the first release, then shortly after
> do a major release with the change, but it's worth checking what
> others have found to work well)
>
>> As we know that we will be using JDK 6 for the next encryption and
>> signature update, we should save time by dropping the tests for EOL JDK
>> 5, switch now to JDK 6 and adapt the pom.xml(s) accordingly.
>
> FWIW, Tika is still on 1.5, so if ODFToolkit required 1.6 then we
> couldn't use it
>
> That said, if the odf community is keen, then ignore Tika and upgrade!
> Probably best to roll that into the release which changes the packaging
"Never change a running system" comes to my mind, when I hear about the
current usage JDK 5.

What is Tika's reason to stick with JDK5?

The usage can not be related to security as the latest public available
security update was 22 months ago and there will be no further update,
may the possible security risk be arbitrary high.

ODFDOM's reason to use JDK 6 is its need for the ODF package encryption
& signature feature and even JDK 7 comes along with improved ZIP access
of NIO2, therefore I will from my current point of view I will vote to
switch to JDK in July 2012 when JDK 6 is EOL.

Kind regards,
Svante