incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Choice of JDK version (earlier -- Re: Source code checked in, what next?)
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:29:57 GMT
On 20.09.2011 12:15:36 Svante Schubert wrote:
> Our project is meant as a software tool for other developers and is not
> addressing the end user market.

By users, I meant developers using ODFDOM, i.e. the users of the library.

> I have observed the laziness of user, similar to the desire of stability
> of user that are not changing any software of a running system at all.
> The latter makes sense, but if there is sufficient test coverage there
> is no problem.

...or "probably no problem". People still have to re-integration-test
their systems after a version upgrade.

> I fully agree on the early adoption as acceptance killer and that the
> EOL is a decision of the manufacturer.
> Nevertheless there are no further security patches and there should be
> some date to move on, as we are saving time in our development, becoming
> more efficient.

Of course, there is a time to move on. The trick is to find the right
one.

> I am curious why people stick with an old Java version and taking the
> security risk?

Because they don't expose their system to the evil internet. Because
they may not be able to migrate to a newer platform because their
application server doesn't support it, yet, or because some legacy
software (that can no longer be upgraded) doesn't work with a new JDK.
Or because the boss doesn't allow it or doesn't want to allocate the
resources for the upgrade of the whole platform. All more or less lame
excuses but it seems to happen surprisingly often. That's why I was
talking about "realities". Of course, you could argue: why would they
then want to upgrade ODFDOM or doing new development with ODFDOM? I'm
not saying anything like you should do this or that. I just advocate to
make an informed and balanced decision.

Jeremias Maerki