incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Choice of JDK version (earlier -- Re: Source code checked in, what next?)
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:58:31 GMT
Just my 0.05 CHF as a bystander...
Reasons not to change could be:
- Developers want to use the latest toys but may sometimes forget about
the users.
- The reason for a higher JDK may be triggered only by some special
feature while the majority of the code would work just fine by itself
with a lower JDK. Maybe some core edition could use JDK X while an
extension component with the additional feature could require JDK X+1.
- Too early adoption of a new JDK (currently JDK 7) could be a serious
acceptance killer (and therefore an incubation risk here). The lower the
JDK, the larger your possible audience.
- JDK EOL is a decision by the manufacturer of the JDK. It does not
always mirror the realities in the wild.

Polling the community is always a good way and gives you interesting
data. See [1] what we did in Apache XML Graphics Commons some way back
as an example. We switched from JDK 1.3 to 1.4 as a consequence, but
only switched to JDK 5 about a year ago.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics/UserPollOct2007

On 19.09.2011 23:45:55 Svante Schubert wrote:
> Am 19.09.2011 23:23, schrieb Nick Burch:
> > ..
> >
> >> What is Tika's reason to stick with JDK5?
> >
> > I think the most recent discussion on it was:
> > http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Hudson-build-is-unstable-Tika-trunk-394-td1818975.html
> >

> >> ODFDOM's reason to use JDK 6 is its need for the ODF package
> >> encryption & signature feature and even JDK 7 comes along with
> >> improved ZIP access of NIO2, therefore I will from my current point
> >> of view I will vote to switch to JDK in July 2012 when JDK 6 is EOL.
> >
> > If you have a reason to change, then you can, I was just suggesting
> > that you consider a major version bump along with it to make it clear
> > to everyone
> >
> > POI switched to needing JDK 5 back in 2009, and we still sometimes get
> > people asking about letting it run on JDK 1.4!
> The pure existence of some people desiring some thing, is not already a
> reason for an offering. There is always desire for everything and there
> might be even fools out there. It is quite the opposite, there should be
> a good reason to stick with the old JDK version.
>
> Neglecting new features, keeping multiple JDK versions on development
> machines, multiple JDK test runs, time that could be spend on
> enhancements, the risk of security breaches on all involved machines
> with outdated JDKs.. all this for what benefit?
>
> The question should not be why should we change, it should be why should
> we NOT change.
>
> But perhaps it is just a different way of thinking...
>
> Regards,
> Svante

Jeremias Maerki