incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Interested in faster compression? (OOo issue 19203)
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2011 18:25:42 GMT
If I recall correctly, the only compression technique accepted in ODF packages is DEFLATE and
none (STORED).  DEFLATE is *required* on all encryptable files in a package when ODF encryption
is applied.

Snappy looks very interesting though.  Thanks Pedro,

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Pedro F. Giffuni [mailto:giffunip@tutopia.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 20:00
To: odf-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Interested in faster compression? (OOo issue 19203)

Hello;

I was just reviewing some issues in OpenOffice.org's
bugzilla and I came up issue 19203, which appears to
be more related to ODF.

The original issue reads:
"use LZO archives (*very* fast zip (de-)compression) for OOo files"

As I pointed out there, the license in LZO is not
acceptable but instead Google has released "snappy",
a faster compression algorithm that is implemented in C++
with a native Java version available:

http://code.google.com/p/snappy/

I thought you might want to see if it would be a desirable
item for future ODF versions. I know some people in this
list are also committers in OOo so feel free to close that
issue if there is no interest.

cheers,

Pedro.