incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: ODF Toolkit: Existing Infrastructure
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:01:11 GMT
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Ansgar Konermann wrote:
>> on hg locally if they want to, but SVN will need to be the canonical
>> store
>
> Apache announced initial support for git a week ago or so, at least for
> beta usage.

Are you sure about that? For some time now, Apache has supported read only
git mirrors of the svn codebases. This allows people who wish to work on
Apache projects using git to do so, but all patches need to be committed
into svn.

(I think there was a change done by Jukka a week or two back, whereby when
someone sends a push request on github for an Apache git mirror, the
project gets notified)

> I'm convinced a dvcs will facilitate contributing to odftoolkit a lot,
> so please let's at least *try* to get a dvcs right from the start.

People who want to can take a clone of the repo, work on it, produce a
patch and send it in. It then gets reviewed by a committer, and applied if
appropriate. No real difference whether the patch was produced by git or
hg or svn

> I know two of my co workers have a number of patches ready for
> contribution to simple api, but going back to svn will likely distract
> them.

They don't need to. See above

If you're interested in seeing further git support at Apache, then I'd
suggest you have a read through the plan:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/git/THE-PLAN-SO-FAR
and then start volunteering to help with some of the tasks.

Nick