incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: ODF Toolkit: Existing Infrastructure
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 22:41:09 GMT
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, Rob Weir wrote:
> 1)  a wiki (no idea what application this is underneath -- might be
> specific to Kenai)

Do you know what syntax it supports? If you can get a page listing the
syntax, I'd suggest comparing it against the confluence one, the moinmoin
one, and markdown

> 6) A Mercurial repository

This will need to be switched to SVN, with an read only git repo available
too. No reason why people can't use the hg svn integration to keep working
on hg locally if they want to, but SVN will need to be the canonical store

> ODFDOM and the Conformance tools use the wiki has its primary home
> page.   Simple JavaAPI uses the wiki for release notes, but has a
> separate main home page.

I'd suggest we try to convert the bulk of these into regular markdown
pages. Switching the wiki syntax should be pretty easy.

Wikis are best for things that non committers may wish to help with, for
the official docs it's probably best to put it in the CMS

> ODFDOM and the Conformance tools doe not have user forums.   Simple
> API does, but they are not really used.  The user mailing list is
> where the main engagement with users occurs.

OK, I'd suggest we try to close it to make things easier

> There are around 400 total issues in Bugzilla (in all states) and
> maybe 40 wiki pages.

Do you know which version of bugzilla, and if a dump is possible?

> I'd like to see if we can try to think of this as a single project,
> with a single home page (of course, with detailed pages for each
> component), with a user user list, single dev list, single repository,
> etc.

That would make sense to me. If we find a lot of traffic on the user list,
we can always split it later into the sub-projects. To start with it's
probably best to have one list to help build the community

> The amount of content is not very much.  So worst case, we could migrate
> the wiki with cut & paste.

A small perl script can usually help with translating the syntax :)

Nick