incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Getting source code and website checked in
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:58:16 GMT
On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2011, at 1:34 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> There is a page that gives basic guidelines for Podling Websites [1],
>> including some recommended links.  It also refers us to the branding
>> guidelines [2].
>>
>> Looking at the POI website [3] I see that it has a section in the
>> navigator for "Component APIs".  That might be a good model for us to
>> follow.  Overtime we might combine our pieces more tightly, but I
>> think that for now we are starting with distinct pieces:
>>
>> 1) ODFDOM
>> 2) Simple API
>> 3) ODF Conformance checker
>> 4) ODF XSLTRunner and servlet
>>
>> I thought initially we could copy the POI website directly, as a basis
>> for ours, but it does not appear to use the Apache CMS and markdown.
>> Is that correct?
>
> That is correct. It uses an old version of Forrest. You have to build the site separately
and then stage it into production from your people account.

> We should copy the Apache CMS setup from AOOo. With that current framework we can wrap
both markdown and html.

>> If so, then I'd propose that we "svn copy" the markdown from the
>> Apache OpenOffice.org podling's website [4],  and rebrand it for our
>> ODF Toolkit website.  That will give us the basic boilerplate for the
>> podling website.
>>
>> Proposed directory structure:
>>
>> For the source code:
>>
>> asf/incubator/odf/trunk
>> asf/incubator/odf/branches
>> asf/incubator/odf/tags
>>
>> I don't think we should go immediately to a common tree for the Java
>> source.  But maybe have something like this initially:
>>
>> asf/incubator/odf/trunk/odfdom/
>> asf/incubator/odf/trunk/simple/
>>
>> and so on.  We can always move things around once we have it in SVN.
>> Of course, I'm open to other ideas on this as well.  But the sooner we
>> get the code into SVN, the sooner we can engage and grow a broader,
>> more diverse community around this code.
>>
>> And then for the website we would start with:
>>
>> asf/incubator/odf/site/trunk
>> asf/incubator/odf/site/branches
>> asf/incubator/odf/site/tags
>>
>> We probably don't need a deep directory structure there.  But we could
>> have a subdir for each component, e.g.:
>>
>> asf/incubator/odf/site/trunk/odfdom
>> asf/incubator/odf/site/trunk/simple
>
> OK, if we go with the Apache CMS then there is an implied structure under asf/incubator/odf/site/trunk
>
> asf/incubator/odf/site/trunk/content/odftoolkit/
> asf/incubator/odf/site/trunk/lib
> asf/incubator/odf/site/trunk/templates

Good catch.  We want this to have a single root from the CMS perspective.

> So,
>
> asf/incubator/odf/site/trunk/content/odftoolkit/odfdom
> asf/incubator/odf/site/trunk/content/odftoolkit/simple
>

>> etc.
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?  Any alternative proposals?
>>
>> Since people are still signing up on the list, and we're just getting
>> started, I'd like to give a good amount of time for comments.  But if
>> there are no objections by Monday at 1200 UTC, then I'll assume Lazy
>> Consensus" [5] and request Apache CMS support from Apache
>> Infrastructure and start checking in the website framework.

Anyone have any other comments?  I just checked, and we now have all
of the initial committers signed up on the list.  So if you did not
see the proposal when initially posted, please take a look.

> Once we are enabled for svn I can adapt and check in the CMS framework from AOOo. Then
whenever we get the ability to stage and go to production we'll be ready.