incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [SVN] Structure (was Re: List of code base needed to convert from Mercurial to SVN)
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2011 17:41:16 GMT
On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2011, at 9:18 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Another place to put SVN dump files is on an account@people.apache.org where others
can reach it.  This is apparently one way to deliver to Apache Infrastructure when the time
comes. (Did you do that with the OpenOffice.org Head, Rob?)

With AOOo I put the dumpfile on robweir.com.  I have not identified
where on Apache one may ftp upload files.

>> Because of potentially separate projects having separate releases, it might be useful
to consider,

>> /odf/simple/trunk/...
>> /odf/toolkit/trunk/...
>> /odf/subproject3/trunk/...
>>
>> and the peers of each trunk are releases or, if you prefer the /tag and /branch structures
that hold such things.  (I favor releases being siblings of trunk, but that's not typical.)

>> My criterion is that /trunk/ and its peers are where the license and notice files
show up applicable to the particular releasable, configurable/buildable/deployable component.

>> Something I've been experimenting with that might be useful to you.
>
> Is the plan to release separately for each component, or should we keep each component
on its own release schedule?

> If it is separate then Dennis's structure makes more sense. If not then the odf/trunk/
makes more sense.

Currently they are different projects, each with their own releases,
as well as their own doc, release notes, websites, etc.  The goal (as
I understand it) is to merge them into one Apache project.  I'd start
with everything under a single trunk, since I don't expect we'll
branch/release individually.  Once everything is checked in I'd like
to see us even move these closer together, e.g., a single Java src
directory, common build script, integrated JavaDoc, common
FAQ's/Release Notes, etc.