incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: List of code base needed to convert from Mercurial to SVN
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:20:29 GMT
On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 2:46 AM, Devin Han <devinhan@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> I have submitted the dump file to people.apache.org.  You can use:
>         scp -p odf-svn.zip devinhan@people.apache.org:~/.
> download it. You will see 8 dump files after unzip. They are:
> 1.ODFDOM
>  (1)generator_svn_dump
>     Code Generation (Revision 27):
> https://hg.odftoolkit.org/hg/odfdom~schema2template
>  (2)old_generator_svn_dump
>     Code Generation(deprecated) (Revision 153):
> https://hg.odftoolkit.org/hg/odfdom~relaxng2template
>  (3)odfdom_svn_dump
>     ODFDOM Developer Repository(Revision 133):
> https://hg.odftoolkit.org/hg/odfdom~developer
>  (4)taglets_svn_dump
>     JavaDoc Taglets(Revision 37):
> https://hg.odftoolkit.org/hg/odfdom~taglets
> 2.Simple API
>  simple_svn_dump
>  Simple API (Revision 105):https://hg.odftoolkit.org/hg/simple~code-base
> 3.Conformance Tools
>  (1)validator_svn_dump
>     ODF Validator (Revision 34):
> https://hg.odftoolkit.org/hg/conformancetools~odf-validator-src
> 4.XSLT Runner
>  (1)xslt_runner_svn_dump
>     ODF XSLT Runner (Revision 67):
> https://hg.odftoolkit.org/hg/conformancetools~odf-xslt-runner-src
>  (2)xslt_runner_task_svn_dump
>     ODF XSLT Runner Task (Revision 18):
> https://hg.odftoolkit.org/hg/conformancetools~odf-xslt-runner-task-src
>
> I have test them on my machine and please help me review it again.
> If all of them work well and the new repository directory is confirmed, I
> will create a JIRA issue to request the admin merge them to Apache SVN.

Here's what I found:

1) It looks like you were able to preserve the history in the
migration from Hg to SVN.  Good job!  What tool did you use for this?

2) I received a checksum error when unzipping the archive.  I tried
this several times, downloading the zip file on two machines.  I
always got a checksum error on the simple api dump.

3) I also got a checksum error while processing the load of the odfdom jar.

4) Other dump files, like the conformance tools, processed without error.

5) I was not able to load these all into the same repository because
there are conflicting files, e.g., multiple projects have a README or
license.txt in the root.

I'm not sure what is causing the checksum errors.  Could you try  an
"svnadmin load" for odfdom and simple and see if you get these errors
as well.  If not, then maybe you need to re-zip them and upload them
again.

Also, to get this all into a single repository we need to agree on a
directory structure.  When we do an svn adminload we can specify a
parent directory (-parent-dir) , so we can do that to work around the
conflicts.

One solution is to load each dumpfile into its own directory, like:

/odf/trunk/generator
/odf/trunk/odfdom
/odf/trunk/simple
/odf/trunk/old-generator
/odf/trunk/taglets
/odf/trunk/validator
/odf/trunk/xslt-runner
/odf/trunk/generator-task

For example:

 svadmin -parent-dir /odf/trunk/generator ./odf-toolkit-repos <
generator_svn_dump

 svadmin -parent-dir /odf/trunk/odfdom ./odf-toolkit-repos < odfdom_svn_dump

and so on.

Then when we have one big combined load repository, we can create one
big dumpfile for it, and that would be what we sent to Apache Infra
team.

That is the "quick and dirty" approach.  Once imported, and after some
more thinking, we will likely move things around, create a top-level
build script for the entire toolkit, etc.

Comments?

-Rob