incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject [Proposal] Getting source code and website checked in
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2011 20:34:35 GMT
There is a page that gives basic guidelines for Podling Websites [1],
including some recommended links.  It also refers us to the branding
guidelines [2].

Looking at the POI website [3] I see that it has a section in the
navigator for "Component APIs".  That might be a good model for us to
follow.  Overtime we might combine our pieces more tightly, but I
think that for now we are starting with distinct pieces:

1) ODFDOM
2) Simple API
3) ODF Conformance checker
4) ODF XSLTRunner and servlet

I thought initially we could copy the POI website directly, as a basis
for ours, but it does not appear to use the Apache CMS and markdown.
Is that correct?

If so, then I'd propose that we "svn copy" the markdown from the
Apache OpenOffice.org podling's website [4],  and rebrand it for our
ODF Toolkit website.  That will give us the basic boilerplate for the
podling website.

Proposed directory structure:

For the source code:

asf/incubator/odf/trunk
asf/incubator/odf/branches
asf/incubator/odf/tags

I don't think we should go immediately to a common tree for the Java
source.  But maybe have something like this initially:

asf/incubator/odf/trunk/odfdom/
asf/incubator/odf/trunk/simple/

and so on.  We can always move things around once we have it in SVN.
Of course, I'm open to other ideas on this as well.  But the sooner we
get the code into SVN, the sooner we can engage and grow a broader,
more diverse community around this code.

And then for the website we would start with:

asf/incubator/odf/site/trunk
asf/incubator/odf/site/branches
asf/incubator/odf/site/tags

We probably don't need a deep directory structure there.  But we could
have a subdir for each component, e.g.:

asf/incubator/odf/site/trunk/odfdom
asf/incubator/odf/site/trunk/simple

etc.

Any thoughts on this?  Any alternative proposals?

Since people are still signing up on the list, and we're just getting
started, I'd like to give a good amount of time for comments.  But if
there are no objections by Monday at 1200 UTC, then I'll assume Lazy
Consensus" [5] and request Apache CMS support from Apache
Infrastructure and start checking in the website framework.

A question:  Is there anything we need to do to enable SVN?  I don't
see anything at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/odf/ right
now.  I assume someone with karma for
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ needs to bootstrap us?

-Rob