From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding a new project to a solution and intra-solution references
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 03:40:05 GMT

On 13/01/2012, at 5:53 AM, Callixte Cauchois wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am investigating NPanday to see how it can help us solve some of our
> runtime dependency issues.
> So, I created a new project as advertised in the Quick Start example,
> generated the POMs etc. At this stage, it works as advertised.
> Then I added a new project to the solution. As it was meant to be a unit
> test project, I wanted to add NUnit as a Maven artifact. VS asked me
> regenerate the POMs. So first question here: do we have to regenerate all
> POMs in a solution everytime we add a new project?

No - this should be a one-time task. Did you already have POMs when you opened it in Visual
Studio? If so, how did they change after the regeneration?

> Then I added a reference to the first project using VS dialog as said in
> the documentation. Nothing is added in the pom. And without surprises, the
> Maven build fails.
> If I regenerate the POMs, the reference is added, but the one to NUnit is
> removed...
>
> Am I missing something?
> What is the correct workflow to perform this simple action?

Some logging related to this is improved in trunk (1.5.0). The catch is that if you add a
reference, NPanday can only guess from the artifacts you already have in your local Maven
repository what the co-ordinates will be, as it doesn't currently query a remote artifact
server.

A more reliable method is to use "Add Maven Artifact" instead of "Add Reference". It ends
up as a reference as well, but it will let you traverse a remote Maven repository to select
the artifact to add.

Does that work for you?

- Brett

--