From Eric Kolotyluk <eric.koloty...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trouble Getting Going with 1.4.0
Date Mon, 09 May 2011 14:36:05 GMT
Please see below...

On 2011-05-09 1:54 AM, Lars Corneliussen wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>>
>> I've been struggling with NPanday for hours just because I want to
>> try to add a dependency to log4net, and I still cannot see any light
>> at the end of the tunnel.
>>
>> It is so much easier to use the Sonatype plugin for Eclipse.
>>

> I'm really sorry for the trouble you encounter. And we appreciate your
> interest in NPanday.
>
> Though, you can't really compare NPanday and Visual Studio with Maven
> and Eclipse (yet). Allthough NPanday is in use by many, it is far from
> the broad adoption Maven has in the Java space. Hopefully this will
> not stay like it is. That is, what we work for.
>
> Especially the NPanday VS Add-in serves very specific tasks (Project
> import, Reference sync). We hope to engage more users, contributors
> and committers to help us build a better NPanday.
>
> I personally joined the project in late 2010, because I belive this is
> the way to go for building in .NET. But we have still much work to do.
>
> So far, it's been worth it.

Truly I see the value in NPanday, and I understand it's bleeding edge
technology at the moment. It's just that I'm tired and frustrated after
so many hours of trying to get it working. I would really appreciate it
if someone could get me to the point of being able to bring just one
dependency into my project, preferably log4net.

I do agree with you that this is the way to go with .NET, so please keep
working to improve NPanday and some-day I hope it will be as easy to use
as m2e.

>> By the way, the file
>> npanday-repository-builder-1.4.0-incubating-bin.tar.gz had no npanday
>> directory in it, so I'm using the one from the 1.3.1 release.
> As liit already mentioned, we changed the group id to
> org.apache.npanday. This change was nessecary in order to comply with
> apache rules and to get npanday into Maven Central.

NP - it was just confusing for me as I was struggling to understand why
I could not get things working properly.