From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cannot get transitive dependencies working
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2011 15:39:44 GMT
Maven originally didn't allow transitive, compile time dependencies. Unfortunately, there are
certain circumstances under which Java requires them at compile time and I reluctantly changed
it to avoid confusion. The dependency:analyze goal now warns you if you don't specify them
directly.

.NET isn't burdened in the same way, so it's desired that things you directly use in the current
project are specified (which things required by your dependencies are brought in transitively)

On 06/04/2011, at 1:01 AM, Khai Do wrote:

> The whole point of maven's transitive dependency feature is to pull in all indirect dependencies
for build, test, and runtime.  At least this is how it works with maven java projects.  You
should not have to supply concrete references to every library that a project depends on,
it would be a nightmare to manage if your chain of dependencies gets really long.  Also your
pom files will be very long containing lots of duplication.

> Here is what I expect..
> ProjectB depends on projectA, projectC depends on projectB.  Therefore when I build projectC
using npanday it should recognize projectA as a transitive dependency and automatically download
and reference projectA as well.

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org