From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cannot get transitive dependencies working
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2011 16:32:03 GMT
You're correct, and I think it is behaving as you expect.

What I'm trying to be clear on (which is sometimes hard without pictures):

Let's say B depends on C. Let's say your current project's source code uses classes from all
of A, B and C.

You should declare all 3 dependencies, because you need to compile against them. You shouldn't
rely on not declaring C because B will bring it in - because B might later change not to,
or use a different version.

Now, if you just use A, B - you only compile against A, B, but you run against A, B, C (because
B needs C to run).

The problem in Java is if C contains an abstract class implemented in B, you need to compile
against C, even if you only use classes from A and B.

:)

On 06/04/2011, at 2:11 AM, Khai Do wrote:

> Hi Brett.  Maybe I don't understand. What do you mean when you say ".NET is not burdened
the same way"?  As a best practice (for java projects) I follow the pattern of only referencing
top level modules and letting maven resolve all the transitive dependencies for me on compile.
 I believe this is the definition of dependency management.  It seems like your suggesting
that .NET is not build the same way and I shouldn't follow this pattern for npanday builds?
 Wouldn't this break maven's dependency management feature?  -Khai

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org