From Christoph Karner <lechri...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: NPanday Addin for Non-English Visual Studio
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2011 11:03:57 GMT
Hi Lars!

First of all thank you for your elaborate response.

The localization seems to be a quite straightforward task and i think i will try
to implement that solution.
Having never developed a Visual Studio Add-In, i was surprised that such
language related issues exist.

I'm only experimenting with NPanday out of private interest(at least for now) so
i'm not sure how much time i can invest in it,
but it would certainly be great to have a Visual Studio integrated Maven
environment(for all localizations of VS).

regards
Chris

----- Urspr√ľngliche Mail ----
Von: Lars Corneliussen <me@lcorneliussen.de>
An: npanday-users@incubator.apache.org
Gesendet: Donnerstag, den 3. Februar 2011, 19:32:39 Uhr
Betreff: NPanday Addin for Non-English Visual Studio

Hi Christoph, (und Hallo auch nochmal auf Deutsch),

I have started to implement support for German installations. We already did
some work in NPanday 1.2 supporting "Dokumente und Einstellungen" instead of
"Users" :) (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NPANDAY-222)

The simple way would certainly be to "or" all the language names, but it would
not be the clean way to do it. I think we have two options.

1) Easy, but still clean: Use .NET Localization for customized Menu-item names
2) Better, but quite hard: Move from "Addin" to "Integration package", which
will enable language-agnostic communication with Visual Studio via cmd-ids.
(http://nayyeri.net/visual-studio-addin-vs-integration-package-part-5)

More on option 1)

Last spring I started to fix the issues for 1.2, but I didn't manage to finish
them. The code is still on github.

We/You :-) had to do two things:

a) Enable support for sattelite assemblies
- Generate a list of all cultures into npanday-settings.xml
(npanday.plugin:NPanday.Plugin.Settings.JavaBinding:generate-settings)
- Do not link *.[culturecode].resources into the main assembly
(npanday.plugin:maven-compile-plugin:compile)
- Create a satelite assembly for each of the culture-codes and attach it to the
artifact (npanday.plugin:maven-compile-plugin:compile-satelite-assemblies)
b) Refactor the addin to use Resources instead of fixed strings. It would also
be good, to move to command pattern for the commands. I started the work here.
Some time ago I rebased it to the current code base - but I didn't test it.

Compare with SVN:
http://lcorneliussen.de/utils/git-svn/github.com/lcorneliussen/npanday/commits/v2.0-GermanAddIn

Github: https://github.com/lcorneliussen/npanday/tree/v2.0-GermanAddIn

Related issues:
- NPANDAY-254: Support for localized Satelite Assemblies (Globalization,
Multi-language) (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NPANDAY-254)
- NPANDAY-228: VS Addin only works for English installations
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NPANDAY-228)

Related discussions
- Italian/Spanish VS-Addin translation contribution
(http://npanday.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=46288)
- Installation problem on Visual Studio 2005/2008
(http://npanday.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=46039)

-Lars
NPanday Committer